Stylists who go through our Donna Bella certification program know that we promote an integrity-focused approach when it comes to installing and maintaining hair extensions. This means that throughout the hair extension process, we’re acting in a way that ensures the continued integrity of the Remy extensions. This is every bit as true for coloring extensions as it is for installing them; coloring services should always be performed with an integrity-focused approach as this will produce the best, most vibrant outcomes. But what does that involve, exactly?
Firstly, you should always follow the 10 cardinal rules of coloring hair extensions.
1. Use professional (semi or demi permanent) colors, only
2. Do not lighten or bleach (only darken)
3. Perform a strand test first
4. Color extensions off of the client’s head (not when installed)
5. Stay within 2 shades of the extension base color
6. Pre-wash extensions with sulfate-free shampoo before coloring them
7. Always flip extensions to color both sides
8. Go with the direction of the hair’s cuticle when brushing color onto the extensions
9. Remove all tape from Tape-In hair extensions before applying color
10. Use only sulfate-free, color-safe shampoo and conditioner on color-treated hair
Following these rules will help you achieve the color outcomes that you want without compromising the health of the extensions themselves.
Then, you should simply take your time.
No good will come from you rushing through a color job (or an installation appointment, for that matter). Though the process can be lengthy, shaving off a couple of minutes at the risk of botching the color and/or extensions is just not worth it. Time is the name of the game, and it’s the only way to get those top-notch, beautiful results. So roll your sleeves up and knock it out of the park.
Donna Bella is now offering custom coloring information for human hair extensions at our Color Takeover Portal—an online resource for any stylist looking to incorporate color work into their extension services. Get read up on the latest tips, the loveliest formulas, and the easiest how-tos today! You can even download a free guide filled with everything you need to know to perform the perfect color job.