Getting hair extensions can be life-changing. In just a few hours, you can have hair that would take years to grow. There are so many possibilities, and the experience can be amazing. Here are some tips that can make getting hair extensions extra special.
1. Find a licensed and certified stylist. Just because your salon professional has a license doesn’t mean he or she knows how to do extensions. Make sure your stylist has the proper training and experience for the method of extensions you want. Improper installation and removal of hair extensions can cause damage. You can find a stylist in our directory here.
2. Come to your appointment prepared. Make sure your hair is free from any oils and buildup. This will help the extensions stay in securely. Ask any questions and resolve all concerns before the installation process so you feel confident and ready. Bring something to read or watch while your stylist is working. It could last anywhere from half hour to three hours.
3. Use only sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners. Sulfates are too harsh for extensions. You can read more about the dangers of sulfates here. Your extensions will last much longer if you avoid sulfates.
4. Brush often. Three times a day is recommended, and make sure to be gentle, starting from the tips and working up, always holding the roots with your other hand. This will prevent your hair from matting and tangling.
5. Go to your touch-up appointments. Your hair will grow and take the hair extensions with it. About every 6 to 8 weeks, your stylist will take out your extensions and move them up closer to your scalp. These touch-up appointments are a great time for your stylist to check your hair and look for any signs of damage.
6. Don’t overdo it. It’s okay to give your hair a break. Although extensions are designed to last for a long time, your hair might benefit from a rest for a while if you’ve been wearing extensions non-stop for years. The scary damage seen on TV comes from improper installation and overuse of extensions.
With proper treatment and care, extensions will not be damaging. They’ll be fun, fashionable, and beautiful!